2018 Aluminum Extrusion Design Competition Details
For designers and engineers, the possibilities are endless when designing with aluminum extrusions. Aluminum profiles can provide the solution to many design challenges. With aluminum extrusions, you don't have to compromise your design to accommodate standard shapes, you can design exactly the shape you need and let the production process accommodate itself to your specific design.
Aluminum profiles have many advantages, including:
- Favorable strength-to-weight ratios
- Flexibility of numerous alloys
- Ability to design to close tolerances, and
- Unsurpassed advantages of the extrusion process
...making aluminum extrusion the material and process of choice.
Careful design is the way to gain maximum benefit from the many variable characteristics of aluminum alloys and from the flexibility of the extrusion process. The Aluminum Extrusion Design Competition is a great place to show off your talent and innovation in design...and it offers the possibility of winning money and recognition for your unique design!
Learn more about the entry categories below!
For complete rules and criteria, visit www.aec.org/CompetitionRules.
Call for Entries & Entry Form
For complete information, including judging criteria, eligibility, tips on a successful entry and more, download the Call for Entries brochure. Download the Professional Competition Entry Form here. For team entries, each member of the team should complete an entry form.
>> Entry Deadline: April 2, 2018 <<
In addition to the above awards, winners will be offered complimentary attendance to EDU ’18. Visit www.aec.org/EDU18 for program details.
*One Grand Prize is awarded to the best entry overall, regardless of Class.
These are just a few of the possible applications for aluminum profiles. Submit your own design or prototype — it will be considered!
Architectural / Structural
- Office component systems
- Exhibit display booths
- Architectural facades, windows
- Bridges & bridge decking
- Modular building systems
- Satellite components
- Bicycles, sporting goods, recreational equipment
- Ladders, scaffolds
- Lighting, lighting tracks
- Appliances, other durable household goods
- Scientific, agricultural, industrial, mining equipment
- Machine components
- Electrical & thermal components
- Auto chassis & space frames, motorcycle frames & components, seat runners, roof rack rails, steering columns, door handles, radiator frames
- Truck grills, trailer frames, flooring, cross members
- Rail car frames & components
- Airplane wings, seat tracks, window frames, handrails, landing gear
- Space vehicle components
- Boat hulls, crossbars, support bars, door & hatch cover trim, tracks & rub rails
Photos courtesy of Classic Trailers, Inc. and
Aluminum Chambered Boats, Inc.
Aluminum's sustainable characteristics, along with the versatility of the extrusion process, make aluminum extrusions ideal for alternative energy applications, including:
- Photovoltaic and Concentrated Solar Power
- Building-integrated photovoltaic modules
- Wind power
- Hydro-electric power
- Geothermal energy systems
Any part or component designed for use in an alternative energy system will fit into this category.
Photo courtesy of Acciona
*The competition is not limited to the examples listed; these are just a few of the possible applications for aluminum profiles. Designs must be original and make use of at least one extruded aluminum component. Multiple entries may be entered. If any category yields no entries deemed by the judges to adequately address the competition criteria, a prize will not be awarded in that category.
Want to gain insight into designing aluminum extrusions? Watch the recorded webinar:
Tips for a Successful Design Competition Entry
The ET Foundation is grateful to Bonnell Aluminum for their sponsorship of the 2018 Aluminum Extrusion Design Competition awards.
All entries are due no later than April 2, 2018